Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tips #1 - Make your home smell delicious!

Now I don't know about you but I always worry about what people smell when they come into our house for the first time - or any time for that matter! Maybe it's because we have pets, and non-pet owners often comment on "doggy" smells in pet-owners homes, or because we've all had the experience of walking into someone's house and wrinkling up our noses or trying to subtly mouth breathe!

Anyway, I spend a small fortune on plug-ins and sprays, scented candles and all the rest of that commercial junk. I really hate using it though, especially the chemical ones (the plug-ins and sprays) as it just doesn't sit well with me to be breathing in whatever it is they're using to create those lovely scented vapours! So I've been trying to find a more natural way of making the house smell lovely all the time and I've tried a few different remedies. Vinegar in a bowl whilst you're frying? Not as effective as everyone seems to claim. Baking soda at the bottom of the kitchen bin and kitty litters? Nope, does nothing.
What I can tell you works it this:

1 apple, quartered
1tbsp whole cloves
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp vanilla extract

Add all these to a small pan, fill the pan with water, bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer.
It makes your house smell like apple pie and autumn - WOW!

The best bit is you can use the same mix for a few days, just cover it when it's not boiling and top it up with water when it gets low (don't let it boil dry though or your home will just smell like burnt apples!).

Have you ever come across a great cleaning/household tip that just left you really disappointed when it didn't work? Or do you have any nice smelling/great cleaning tips that you think I should try? Let me know in the comments! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment